Friday 4 October 2013

Kumara, Carrot and Silverbeet Pie


This yummy savoury pie was a spare of the moment of kind thing! One my friends plays soccer every week near my house, so since I knew she was in my neck of the woods I thought I'd whip her up a vegan dinner. She's not vegan, but trying really hard to reduce meat in her diet, which is amazing!

I quickly looked at what I had, and it was settled, Kumara, Carrot and Silverbeet Pie it was! I used what I had and it turned out supper yummy. Jake even asked me to make it again for his dinner even when he specifically told me he was cooking :)


Kumara, Carrot and Silverbeet Pie

Ingredients


2 cups diced red kumara (sweet potato)
2 cups diced carrot
2 cups cut silverbeet or spinach
1 sliced onion
3-4 diced garlic cloves

1-2 tablespoons of your fav pesto - recipe here or buy fresh pesto 
1-2 teaspoons nutritional yeast or vege stock
1-2 teaspoons tamari or soy (optional)
pepper to taste

If you have some melty vegan cheese, mix a few cubes in just before baking

2 sheets vegan friendly puff pastry or 4 sheets edmonds filo pastry (vegan friendly)

Method

1. Preheat oven to 180C. Boil kumara and 1cup of your carrots on a high heat till soft, about 10-15 minutes.


2. While your pot is boiling, heat pan with a little oil I used olive oil. Saute onion, garlic, and silverbeet.

3. Prepare the pastry base. Puff pastry: Line a dish with one sheet and pop in the oven to crisp up, takes about 8-10 mins. Set aside.
Filo Pastry: Use two sheets for the base and stick together with vegan butter or oil, no need for pre baking.

4. Drain boiled veggies once the kumara is soft, then tip into pan with sauteed veggies.

5. Add pesto, nutritional yeast or vege stock, tamari and pepper to taste. Once you are happy with the flavourings, cool till steam has disappeared, and pop into your prepared base.

6. Top your pie with the remaining layer(s) of pastry, brush with oil, and pop in the oven till the pastry is golden brown. 



I hope you enjoy this recipe,

Kim xx

No comments: