This slice is delicious, creamy and a little tart! You wouldn't even believe it was dairy free. The base was inspired by Julia and Libby's lemon and coconut slice, and the top layer was inspired by Petite Kitchen's raw lemon truffles. I just changed the measurements and ingredients to suit.
I have also made a similar recipe in the past, click the link to see: Apricot Coconut Slice
Lemon Coconut Slice
3/4 cup oats (I used gluten free)
3/4 cup desiccated coconut
1 cup pitted dates (soaked in hot water for 2mins)
1 teaspoon of organic vanilla extract
1 tablespoon extra virgin coconut oil
1 1/2 cups unsweetened desiccated coconut
1 cup almond meal
4 tablespoon extra virgin coconut oil
4 tablespoon agave or honey (not vegan)
1/2 cup of fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
a pinch of sea salt
1. In a food processor add the oats, coconut, dates and vanilla.
Blend all the ingredients together until the mixture it has a sticky, paste like consistency.
Note: You can also make this without a food processor using a pestle. Simply mix the ingredients in a bowl, then grab your pestle and smash away! My food processor died on me so I know the pestle works.
2. Press into the bottom of a square baking pan and put in the fridge to set. Now to make the lemon layer.
3. In a food processor, add all of the ingredients. Blend for 1-2 minutes, or until the mixture starts to mix together like a dough. This step can also be find using a pestle, see above.
4. Spread mixture across the top of the base, and smooth out with a spatula or the back of a spoon.
5. Chill in fridge for 30 minutes, or the freezer for 15 minutes.
Slice into squares and keep refrigerated in an airtight container. I keep mine in the freezer, as they kept to a nice texture.