Crumble brings fond memories of my childhood talking to myself/pretending to host my own 'cooking show' (only child here). I have been making this pie since I was kid and it has never failed to please my loved ones. This is a simple but delish recipe, if I could make it when I was ten I am sure you will have no problems!
Kim's Vegan Friendly Apple Crumble
4 apples peeled and diced
enough water to cover the apples in saucepan
1 teaspoon of cinnamon or mixed spice
2 tablespoons of coconut sugar
1-2 tablespoons of cornflour mixed with water to make a paste
1 cup flour
1 cup of oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 tablespoons softened vegan butter or coconut oil
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Filling: Boil apples on a medium heat with water, cinnamon and sugar for 10-15 mins or until soft.
- Add your cornflour paste into your apple filling and rapidly boil for 1 min while stirring. It should be nice and thick like lemon curd. If it is not thick enough make more cornflour paste.
- Crumble: Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl, mix coconut oil or vegan butter into flour with your fingertips, or process in a food processor to looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in sugar.
- Add apple filling into a pie dish, then sprinkle crumble mix on top.
- Bake at 180°C for 20-30 minutes or until crumble is golden.
Serve warm or cold. You can also serve with a dollop of soy yogurt , whipped coconut cream or a dairy free ice cream!