Tuesday 3 April 2018

Hot Cross Cakes



Every Easter, it's not the chocolate eggs or bunnies I want, I go straight for hot cross buns. There's something about the doughy, sweet spiced bun that I just can't resist! So in true Easter spirit, I've decided to come up with a low-carb, gluten-free & refined sugar-free alternative.

Now I'm all for treats in moderation, I'm a firm believer of the 80/20 lifestyle. However, I know what it's like to have such cravings, and I can't be having hot cross buns every day of Easter! I tried my best to create a moist cake crumb using almond flour and have ensured that I've added enough fruit and spice to satisfy those hot cross buns cravings.


Hot Cross Cakes

Ingredients
1 cup almond meal
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice
pinch of salt

3  tbsp sweetener of choice: Natvia (low carb), coconut sugar or maple syrup
1/4 cup milk (I used soy)
2 tbsp melted coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg or vegan flax egg (1 tbsp + 3 tbsp hot water)
1/2 cup diced apple
1/4 cup sultanas

Method
1. Pre-heat oven to 180C.

2. Mix dry ingredients, make a well in the center.

3. Add in wet ingredients, mix gently, avoid over mixing.

4. Grease mini cupcake pan (I used silicone) or use mini cupcake cases. Fill 12 mini cases evenly.

5. Bake at 180C for 15-20 minutes.

6. Cool before removing from tin, then glaze with a little apricot jam.

7. Decorate with white crosses using a piping bag or zip lock bag.

Icing recipe
1/2 cup butter or cream cheese (dairy free alts work well!)
1-2 tbsp sweetener of choice
1/2 tsp vanilla

Whip all ingredient together until well combined.



I hope you enjoy this recipe, and if so I'd love to hear your feedback and see your photos via Instagram. Please tag me in your photos or use the hashtag #amazekitchen :)  xxx


No comments: