Tuesday 25 August 2015

Chocolate Fudgesicle Slice with Black Beans



I have been so eager to try out black bean fudge, and finally whizzed up a batch last night. Looking through recipes online I found that most used agave syrup or honey, and I really wanted to use the date paste I made earlier on in the week.

The date paste and black beans made for a smooth and creamy ice cream texture, rather than that of a fudge. Next time I'll try it using agave syrup and see if there is much difference.

Also, if you are worried about the black beans, please don't be, you can't even taste them! I challenge you to make these and not tell your taste testers the star ingredient until later. I cut my mine into square slices, and kept them in the freezer for a quick and easy chocolatey protein hit. If you have cupcake cases or ice block moulds they would be even better. I'm definitely making this for my kids in the future.

Chocolate Fudgesicle Bites

Ingredients 
1 425g can organic black beans drained or 1 3/4 cups
4 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
6 tablespoons date paste or 12 dates soaked in hot water
4 tablespoons coconut butter or coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 
a pinch of sea salt 

Method
1. Place the beans and cocoa powder in food processor or a heavy duty blender (this might not work in a normal blender). If you don't have any of these gadgets, a mortar and pestle will work fine. Whizz till beans are smooth.

2. Add in the rest of the ingredients, and whizz until you have a smooth batter. You may have to scrape down the sides to get all the lumps out.


If using soaked dates and not date paste, soak in hot water and heat on the stove or microwave for 1-2 minutes just to soften. Drain the water, and add the dates to the mixture.

3. Smooth out the mixture in a tin lined with baking paper (I used a bread tin) or pour into cupcake cases or ice block moulds. Set in the freezer for a minimum of 2- 3 hours or overnight.

Once the fudgesicle mix is set, cut into square slices and put back into the freezer  to store in an airtight container or bag. 


Enjoy,

Kim x


No comments: