Tuesday 18 August 2015

Mini Chocolate Cake - Vegan


Holidays mean recipe testing and plenty of eating! Today I was really itching to make a chocolate cake, but I didn't want to make regular sized one since it's just Jake and I. So I opted for a mini mug cake. I've made these in the past using regular dairy and processed ingredients. 

This time I created a dairy free and gluten free version. The result - fudgy chocolate cake with a delish choc mousse frosting with zero guilt!

I randomly whipped up the frosting using what I had in the fridge, and I can tell you it is amazing and oh so moorish! I know it only uses a small amount of coconut cream, but I always have tinned coconut milk in fridge for smoothies, tea and cooking (transfered into a glass container of course). When chilled it hardens and becomes close in texture to whipped cream or thick Greek yogurt, I could eat it by the spoonful! Now for the recipe.


Mini Chocolate Cake

Ingredients
1/4 cup flour or 3 levelled tablespoons (I used doves farm gluten free flour)
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
a pinch of salt
1 tablespoon unrefined sugar (I used light muscovado)
2 tablespoons melted coconut oil or oil of choice
1/4 cup of milk or 4 levelled tablespoons (I used rice milk)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract


Method
1. If using an oven preheat to 180C or 350F. Lightly grease a small mug, bowl or ramekin with oil or dairy free butter.

2. In a separate bowl mix dry ingredients together till well combined.

3. Add in wet ingredients and mix till just combined. Place the cake batter into the greased mug.

4. If using an oven, bake for about 13-14 minutes. If using a microwave, cook on high heat for 40-50 seconds. Make sure to keep a good eye on it so it doesn't overcook.

5. Leave to cool completely before removing. If you want to eat the straight from the mug, skip this step and enjoy!



Chocolate Mousse Frosting

Ingredients

1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder
1 teaspoon unrefined sugar (I used light muscovado)
1 teaspoon peanut butter
2 tablespoons thickened/chilled coconut cream (make sure to chill the coconut milk overnight in the fridge and used the tinned full fat kind)

Method

1. Mixed all ingredients together with a fork.

2. Slice the cooled cake into layers if desired, frost and devour!



Kim xx

No comments: